The Global Genome Biodiversity Network in collaboration with the European, Middle Eastern and African Society for Biopreservation and Biobanking (ESBB) are developing a knowledge exchange platform for biobanks, researchers and institutions through an online document library. This resource will allow GGBN members and collaborators to perform full text searches, tag publications, and browse information in the following resource categories relevant to biodiversity biobanking: best practice, biobank governance, information and data management systems, standards for sharing samples, business models for biobanks, education and training tools, health and safety, regulation and legislation, research protocols, and curation protocols. A prototype of this platform was launched in July 2016 and is currently being tested by the community for development. Content gaps are being identified and additional use cases are being developed for testing. A prototype of this platform is available under https://library.ggbn.org/ To gain access or if you have any questions please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The guide on how to use the GGBN Document Library can be found at: https://library.ggbn.org/share/s/5ptKXCYAR6OwII0mcoGjLQ
Technology: We are using Alfresco, an open source document management system which allows full text search, tagging, and versioning.
Goals and Milestones:
* User Testing: July 2016 - Feb 2017 * Recruit Content Managers: Dec 2016 - Jan 2017 * Online Survey: Jan - Feb 2017 (aggregate user feedback) * Identify User requirements: March 2017 * Expand GGBN Document Library to meet User needs: Spring 2017
- Biobank Management (including Governance, Business Models, Health and Safety)
- Curation Protocols (including specimen and sample field collection, sample preparation, shipping, laboratory curation and storage methods)
Managers: Breda Zimkus (Animals, Harvard US), Tim Fulcher (Plants, RBGK London), N.N. (Microorganisms)
- Research Protocols (including laboratory specimen and sample analysis: e.g. species specific extraction, amplification, sequencing for fresh and archival/ancient material)
Manager: Laura Forrest (Royal Botanic Gardens, Edinburgh)
- Information and Data Management, Data Sharing (Data standards, data workflows, pipelines, portals, database interoperability)
Managers: Muriel Rabone (NHM London), Gabi Droege (BGBM Berlin)
- Regulation and Legislation (archive for documents and publications from regulatory bodies e.g. CBD, CITES, including examples/templates for Permits/PIC/MAT/MTA/ and for shipping e.g. IATA regulations: Commercial Invoice/Shipping Inventory/Import-Export documentation/How To publications/case studies across the globe)
- ABS: Documents and publications regarding access to genetic resources and benefit sharing (ABS), including examples/templates for Permits/PIC/MAT/MTA/How To publications/case studies across the globe): Manager: Kathryn Davis
- Other: including CITES/ Shipping e.g. IATA regulations: Commercial Invoice/Shipping Inventory/Import-Export documentation /Other regulations and tools* (*full list TBD): Manager: N.N.
- Education and Training Tools (including workshop documents and publications, interactive session protocols and technology)
- GGBN Conferences (Conference documents archive)
Managers: Katie Barker (NMNH, Smithsonian Institution), Gabi Droege (BGBM Berlin)